He was a pioneer in his field and led Waikato’s Radiology department through evolutionary change.
Now 27 years after his retirement Dr David White has celebrated a century of achievements.
Yesterday was his 100th birthday which he celebrated with close friends and family at the Selwyn Wilson Carlile Village.
White was originally from Dunedin and in 1938 he graduated from Otago Medical School.
But he moved north to complete his training at Wellington and Tauranga hospitals.
While the world was at war White discovered a desire to serve overseas and from 1943 – 1946 he bounced around hospitals in Egypt and Italy and dedicated some of his skills to several front line clinics.
In 1946, with a repertoire of knowledge in several different medical fields, White was snapped up by Waikato Hospital and employed as the only full time radiologist. Along with Dr Harold Harris, a part time radiologist at the hospital since 1924, White helped lead the rapid development of the department including the move into the Clinical Services Block in 1971.
Dedicated to his expertise he established the School of Radiography at Otago University in 1951. The faculty is one of the most highly regarded in New Zealand and has trained thousands of students since its inception.
When his comrade of 11 years, Dr Harris decided to retire White made the decision to purchase his shares in Hamilton Radiology and went on to become part time at the hospital.
But after almost 50 years White decided to retire. In 1987 he gave up both his roles, private and public. In 1989 he was awarded with life membership of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Radiologists.
General media enquiries
Mobile: 021 671 239
Email: [email protected]