Home > All news > Waikato measles update

Waikato measles update

Waikato District Health Board’s Population Health service has to date been notified of 106 confirmed measles cases. Over a quarter of the confirmed cases are household contacts of a confirmed case and were already placed in quarantine before they were unwell.

Approximately 80 per cent of the cases are aged between 10-20 years. The other 20 per cent are aged under 10 years and are close contacts of confirmed cases in quarantine as they were not vaccinated.

Nine cases have been hospitalised but are now well.

Of the 106 cases, the vast majority are unimmunised; only four are fully immunised.

Approximately 90 cases with a clinical illness like measles have been investigated and were found not to have measles.

There are currently no schools or child care centres with quarantine management in place.

For more information on measles, visit www.waikatodhb.health.nz/measles

ENDS

General media enquiries
Mobile: 021 671 239
Email: [email protected]

Print Friendly
You may also like
Measles warning for kapa haka competition
Measles outbreak declared over in Waikato, need for vigilance and immunisation remains – 29 August 2016
Measles forces families to re-think vaccination status
Measles
Vaccinate against measles now, as Waikato faces an epidemic