Home > All news > Measles update

Waikato District Health Board’s Population Health service has to date (8 July 2014) been notified of 101 confirmed measles cases, of these 53 are laboratory confirmed, the rest are close contacts of a confirmed case with a clinically compatible illness.

Over one quarter of the confirmed cases are household contacts of a confirmed case and were already placed in quarantine before they were unwell.

Approximately 80 per cent of cases are aged between 10-20 years of age. The other 20 per cent are aged under 10 years and are close contacts of confirmed cases in quarantine as they were not vaccinated.

Nine cases have been hospitalised but are now well.

Of the 101 cases, only four have been immunised with two documented doses of the measles, mumps and Rubella (MMR) vaccine and four cases have received one documented dose of MMR (not fully immunised for dates).

Approximately, 70 cases with a clinical illness like measles have been investigated and were found not to have measles

Schools with quarantine management in place:

  • Maeroa Intermediate – out of quarantine 11 July

For more information about the measles outbreak in Hamilton, visit www.waikatodhb.health.nz/measles

 

ENDS

General media enquiries
Mobile: 021 671 239
Email: [email protected]

Print Friendly
You may also like
Measles warning for kapa haka competition
Measles outbreak declared over in Waikato, need for vigilance and immunisation remains – 29 August 2016
Measles forces families to re-think vaccination status
Measles
Vaccinate against measles now, as Waikato faces an epidemic